EASTER EGG MALT COOKIES WITH STRAWBERRY GANACHE
With Easter tomorrow, there are so many Easter candies all over, especially in the grocery stores. If you have a lot of Easter eggs lying around, these cookies are a MUST make. My favorite kind are the Cadbury mini Easter Eggs. They use a milky chocolate inside, and biting into that hard shell to reach the milky center is a nice surprise!
I use malt powder in the cookie batter. Malt powder is made by drying barley malt, and then grinding it into a slightly sweet powder, that tastes nutty and caramely at the same time. Malt powder is available at grocery stores, or you can even find it online on Amazon, linked here.
I also stuff the cookie with a strawberry ganache, so when you bite into the cookie, you will get a strawberry surprise in it! The fruity taste of the ganache, along with the caramely taste from the malt, and milky chocolate from the Easter eggs, makes this cookie irresistible and to die for!
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS IN THE EASTER EGG MALT COOKIE?
The ingredients in the Easter Egg Malt cookie are:
- All purpose flour: I generally use Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour. I have been using the same one for a few years now!
- Baking powder and baking soda: Baking powder and soda are leaveners used to make the cookie rise and expand
- Malt Powder: I use the Carnation Milk Powder that is available online or in grocery stores.
- Salt: Salt is always used to balance out the sweetness.
- Unsalted Butter: I always use unsalted butter in cookies, so I can control the amount of salt in it.
- Granulated Sugar and Light Brown Sugar: I add a little bit of brown sugar along with the granulated sugar, so that the cookie gets a bit of a chewy bite.
- Eggs: Egg and the egg yolk bind the dough to the right consistency, to hold the cookie together.
- Easter eggs : I use the mini Cadbury Easter Eggs, that are so delicious with the milky chocolate inside.
- Strawberry Ganache: I use strawberry ganache to fill the cookies. The ganache is really simple to make and comes together within half an hour.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY GANACHE?
Strawberry Ganache has a few simple ingredients:
- Freeze dried strawberry powder: I use freeze dried strawberries from Trader Joes and grind it to make a fine powder. It gives a potent flavor to the ganache.
- Strawberry puree: The puree is made with fresh strawberries. Ofcourse the sweeter the strawberry the better.
- White Chocolate: I use the Varhona White Ivoire 35% chocolate bar, which is available online or at Whole Foods. This chocolate melts beautifully, and forms a smooth ganache.
- Light Corn Syrup: Added in a small quantity for a smooth uniform ganache.
The ganache is really easy to make. The white chocolate is melted. In it we add a mixture of the strawberry puree, freeze dried strawberry powder and light corn syrup that have been heated in a pot for a couple minutes. The entire mixture is emulsified with a blender to form a smooth ganache.
The ganache is stored in the fridge to solidify slightly, and then used to stuff in the cookie and baked to perfection.
Before removing the cookie, add a few eggs on each cookie for the finishing touch. These cookies are to-die-for, and SO good. I hope you get to try them.
If you do try them, please do not forget to tag #thejamlab on Instagram and/or leave a comment on this blog post.