We as families get so busy with our lives, our children, dropping and picking them up from one place to another, working, paying bills, cooking, cleaning that we forget to treat ourselves and pat ourselves on the back for all the things that we do. Mothers Day is a special day when we as mothers can take some time to treat ourselves and get pampered and showered with love by our loved ones; a day when we can take the opportunity to put our feet up and relax – mostly! 😉
I remember the times when as a teenager, my brother and I would make meals for our parents, and not let mom enter the kitchen! The times when we would start baking a cake after midnight, for our dear mom’s birthday, and she would be so ecstatic to see a cake in the fridge in the morning! Little gestures like these are what make the best memories, and are etched in forever!
I have a delicious dessert that is very simple for even dads and kids to make – and a bar setup to make it extra special for that special person in your lives — your MOM. I made these pavlovas which are super easy to make, I flavored them with freeze dried raspberries for that extra punch in the flavor. The meringue is super easy to make with just egg whites, granulated sugar, corn starch, cream of tartar, vanilla extract! Once you make the meringue, you simply spread them on a parchment paper, in one big 9 inch circle, or make little pavlova circles, transfer to a baking sheet and bake in an oven for 60 minutes at 275 degrees. That’s it!
The list of toppings that I have here are:
- Jams – I used Jam Lab’s Raspberry and Chocolate Jam and Nectarine and Star Anise Jam
- Fruits – raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, cara cara orange slices, apricot slices, Kiwi roses
- Freeze dried fruit: Raspberries, Blueberries, Mangoes (I get these packets from Trader Joes)
- Coconut chips
- Nuts: Pistachios and Sliced Almonds
- Chocolate Ganache (made with dark chocolate chips and heavy cream)
- Homemade Lemon Curd ( I used Traci’s(www.vanillaandbean.com) recipe )
The pavlovas I have created are:
- Lemon Curd, with raspberries, blackberries, and a sprinkle of freeze dried raspberries and blueberries, garnished with a mint leaf
- Cara Cara orange slices, pistachios, dried rose petals
- Nectarine and Star Anise Jam, with sliced Apricots and sliced almonds
- Raspberry and Chocolate Jam, raspberries, chocolate ganache
- Lemon Curd, with Kiwi Rose, freeze dried mangoes, coconut chips
Be creative! You could use whipped cream, honey, dried lavender, chocolate curls, sesame seeds, dried fruit, salted caramel sauce, scoop of sorbet anything and take this simple dessert to the next level!
Setting up bars are so much fun and they certainly will make your mom feel special too! Happy Mothers Day to all the lovely moms out there! Much love.