It is spring here in the Bay Area, the mountains around our home look so green and pretty! The flowers are blooming , and its bright and sunny everywhere! The days are getting longer, yayay! It has been hot since the past few days, and we actually turned on the air conditioner for the first time this year!
Hot weather calls for ice cream, sorbets and popsicles! I bought an ice cream maker recently, to add to my vast collection of kitchen gadgets. I was so hesitant to buy it since last year, simply cause I will be adding another appliance to the kitchen/clutter! But we as a family simply love ice creams, and after some encouragement from my Instagram friends, I finally decided to take the plunge and invest in the ice cream maker! It was the best decision ever ! I have made ice cream/sorbet 4 times already in a month and my head is reeling with so many ideas for different flavors, that I cannot contain myself!
I decided to make pineapple coconut lime sorbet this time, to delve into sorbets. I used a whole pineapple, coconut milk from a can, 3 whole limes including the lime zest, mint from my garden that I used to make the mint infused simple syrup and that’s it! Short list of ingredients and super simple to make.
You simply put all the ingredients in a high speed blender, I used Vitamix, and then strain it through a sieve to make the mixture smooth. You let it chill in the fridge for minimum 3 hours, and then put it through the ice cream maker per the manufacturer’s instructions. Freeze the mixture and it is ready to eat in about an hour!
The sorbet is creamy, refreshing, so tropical that it transports you to an island! It is certainly a must try!
If you do try the recipe, please do tag #thejamlab on Instagram, and/or comment in the comments section on the blog post. I would love to hear how you liked this recipe! 🙂
Pineapple Coconut Lime Sorbet
- 5 cups of small cut pineapple pieces(I used one whole pineapple)
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 sprigs of mint(about 15-20 mint leaves)
- 3 limes(use lime zest and lime juice from these limes)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Make the simple syrup : In a small saucepan on medium heat, combine the sugar, water and mint leaves. Stir until the sugar dissolves.Once you see bubbles around the edge of the saucepan, let it boil for a minute and the simple syrup is done. Let it cool.
- Keep a sieve over a big bowl ready on the side.
- In a high speed blender, add the pineapple, lime juice, zest from the 3 limes, coconut milk, mint infused simple syrup, and blend well till the mixture is smooth for a couple of minutes. Strain the mixture through the sieve into the big bowl.
- Cover the mixture with a saran wrap, and cool the mixture in the fridge for atleast 6 hours to overnight.
- Once the mixture is cooled, put the mixture into an ice cream maker and make the sorbet per manufacturer's instructions. Once the sorbet is done, scrap it out into a loaf pan, or 2 one-pint containers, cover and let it chill in the freezer for atleast an hour. It will be ready to scoop out and enjoy after an hour!
- Ganish with fresh lime zest and mint leaves! Yum!